Monday, January 16, 2006

Brokeback Mountain the movie*****

This was truly one of the best movie experiences I have ever had! The written story was powerful. The movie was extraordinary. How often can you say this?

Jake Gyllenhall and Heath Ledger were incredible. Hopefully they were driven to do this movie for more than the Oscar potential. I feel they must have been in it for deeper reasons than that. How else could they pull off such an intimate and vulnerable look at a relationship.

Mostly women attended this movie and being from Wyoming there was a lot of chatter in the beginning when references were made to things that only we could appreciate. However, after the first "romantic" scene you could hear a pin drop. I'm not sure anyone was even breathing. Very fierce, compelling and again I have to say powerful.

Inspiring both on an emotional and creative level. I would so much love to talk to the actors and director to learn about their experience making this movie. Hope the DVD is packed full of special features. I usually think of the "movie business" as a fun and easy job. However, this movie must have been work though hopefully a labor of love, the best kind of work.

I could go on gushing about this movie for some time. I will say if you are uncomfortable with homosexuality this may not be the movie for you. Must see in my opinion. Also, I typically expect to be disappointed in a movie that gets the "Oscar buzz" this was not the case with this one at all.

No comments: