Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Books to Movies

Besides reading I also enjoy movies. I could do away with Dish Network and be completely happy with a DVD player and a nice color TV. Particularly with television series on DVD this is becoming more and more appealing to me.

I know a lot of avid readers frown upon the whole book to movie thing or at least choosing your reading list based on what has been or will be a movie. I am guilty of this in a huge way. However, I find that this is a great way to find new authors and have found some great books that I might not have picked up otherwise.

Yes, I realize that most movies pale in comparison to the books but still find comparing the two fun. Also, helps if you allow some time to pass from reading to viewing.

Work calls, I'll get back to the post later.... Now where was I???

Memoirs of a Geisha(book by Arthur Golden) will be coming out December 11. This was a wonderful story and actually moved it up on my reading list because the trailers for this movie look great. Visually I think this is going to be a great movie. At first I was disappointed Yun-Fat Chow wasn't going to be in this, however, Kenneth Watanabe from Last samurai (Katsumoto)is the male lead. Looking forward to seeing him in this roll.

Hart's War by John Katzenbach was the first book I read after seeing the movie. I had no intention of reading it but my brother strongly suggested it and even sent me his copy. So, of course I read it. This book changed my once firm policy about never reading a book after I had seen the movie. It was actually quite cool to have a preconceived idea of the characters. This is an awesome read; probably one of my all time favorites. The movie is pretty good too; staring Bruce Willis and Colin Farrell. Can't wait to read The Analyst and The Mad Man's Tale which I have on my TBR shelf. Just realized he also wrote Just Cause also a movie with Sean Connery, Lawrence Fishburn, and Blair Underwood.

Sideways by Rex Pickett was a movie I consider extremely boring compared to the book. Hard to imagine in this day and age but this movie was a disappointment as is typical of the book to movie scenario. Did think it was fun seeing Thomas Haden Church from Wings but very disappointed that Paul Giamatti wasn't nominated for an Oscar. He is truly underrated IMHO.


The Legend of Bagger Vance by Steven Pressfield was another book my brother recommended. I would have never read it on my own because I don't golf. Again, another all time favorite read. There is no way the movie could capture this book. The movie was okay. I love Matt Damon and my only real complaint of the movie is that the characters were too young.

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pantsby Ann Brashares is a great book and movie for teen/preteens. Sends all the right messages without being preachy or dorky. Look forward to reading the next two books in this series. Farely unknown actress were in the movie which I liked. Nope, no Dakota Fanning! America Ferrera is worth mentioning she plays Carmen. She is wonderful in Real Woman Have Curves.

I could keep going but will stop for now and maybe do another installment of Books to Movies at a later time.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Cannot wait to hear more reviews about the movie Memoirs of a Geisha. I didn't like it very much. The scenery was SUPERBE but the rest... not that great!

Don't forget to tell me once you see it!