Monday, November 28, 2005

Nonfiction for 2005

I don't read a lot of nonfiction but I've read a few this year from beginning to end that are worth mentioning.

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. This is kind of a bizarre read but funny and sad. Read like fiction but stranger like they always say about truth.

Awakening to the Sacred: Creating a personal spiritual life by Lama Surya Das. Very easy to read and non denominational type stuff. Got a lot of good ideas from this book and highly recommend this book if you are looking to find your way in the spiritual sense.



Unstoppable Women: Achieve any breakthrough goal in 30 days by Cynthia Kersey. This is the first self help book I've read from beginning to end. She lays out a simple plan to set and achieve goals. Great for people who tend to make things more complicated than they need to be.

Lucky: A Memoir by Alice Sebold. She tells the story of her rape and the aftermath. I really thought this would be hard to read but Sebold seems to go out of her way to make the reader comfortable. I think this is a must read.

2 comments:

Don and Laura said...

Hi Gretchen. As they say "I'm bcak!" Anwyay, if you liked "Running With Scissors" then read "Dry" by the same author. As you said, the truth is stranger than fiction and that is ceratinly the case with both these books.

Thanks for the blog. I am keeping track of some of your reads as I need to read more fiction.

Don

Gretchen said...

I honestly don't know if this is the proper way to leave a comment on a comment but...

Dry is on my list to get and I do have Magical Thinking on my shelf waiting to be read. Not sure when I'll get to either of them. Too many books to little time.