Friday, November 04, 2005

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving ****


#48
I am still in the process of reading this book. I wanted to get my online reading journal started so I could work out how I wanted it to look and so forth before the beginning of the year. I'm hoping to keep it up to date and do away with pencil and paper. This way I should have easy access to it and won't be lugging around a spiral notebook with me everywhere.

I am participating in a bookring at bookcrossing.com for A Prayer for Owen Meany So far I am really enjoying it and can't wait to compare it to the movie Simon Birch.

11/09/05 I'm still working on this book. However, wanted to write down some thoughts so far. The main character John's mother has died and I can really relate to this aspect of character. My mother also died when I was eleven and had similar feelings and experience. Constantly going over the last time I saw her and other interactions that I felt were significant to me.

11/21/05 I finally finished this and will rate it among my favorites of 2005. At times it seemed to go too deep into detail, however, Irving is a master of the detail and making all of them count.

I loved the relationships in this book between all of the characters.

3 comments:

grandpaboy said...

"Owen Meany" is one of my favorites. I think it's John Irving's best, tho he has a handful of amazing novels.
I still have to see Simon Birch - I'm scared they butchered the book.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gretchen,

I absolutely love this book. I've read it several times and enjoy it more with each read. I love Owen -- his voice, his opinions, his shell-pink ears! The story seems so simple at first, and then goes deeper, and the ending is so moving and profound. This is a book I will pass down to my son when he is older. Did you finish it yet?

Gretchen said...

Yes I finished it and absolutely loved it. The characters were just great and hated to leave them.